Sometimes when life gets messy you've got to spread around a little fairy dust to make it through the day!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Growth Chart!

I had been looking around for a cute growth chart for my daughter to document her height as she gets older and couldn't find one that I liked or would hold up with all my little daycare hands touching it. So I decided with the urging of my friends to make one for her.

1. Select your growth chart material. I used recycled old paneling.
We got a piece of old recycled paneling which had come from my brothers new house while he is in the process of remodeling it. He didn't need it anymore and we couldn't bear to have it just thrown out so we got a hold of a few pieces to have on hand "just in case". My husband cut the paneling to the length and width that I desired.

2. Prime the growth chart material, if desired or needed.  
I then painted the paneling white (as a primer) and waited for it to dry. It took about 1/2 a day before I painted my base coat on it.

3. Select your base coat of paint and get to painting. 
I then chose my base paint (a light blue) to paint the background. Again I waited a few hours, until it was dry, to paint on top of it. I painted 3 coats of this paint onto the paneling. You can paint however many coats you desire.

4. Make your markings for the growth chart.
Using a yard stick I made the ruler markings on the growth chart. I found it much easier to use a paint pen (purchased at Michael's Craft Store) to do this part. Though if you have a steady hand that would work well too. I just lacked the patience to do that part :)

5. Select your designs.
I looked at several different designs and patterns on the internet before deciding on using different size circles using four different colors.  I started by locating some left over clear plastic cover type sheets I had kept again "just in case". I then walked around my house and located three different size objects that were circles to trace around. I used an tubberware lid, a candle base, and a glass to trace around. I used a permanent maker to do the tracing. Then I used an exacto knife and cutting board to cut the circle out. I set the circles aside as I was going to use the outer part as a stencil.

6. Make your designs.
I used painters tape (as not to peel up the base coat) to tape down the stencils where I desired. I then used a paint brush with the desired paint to paint over the stencils. I waited again for the paint to dry before painting another coat of paint over the top.

7. Add embellishments.
When everything was dry I added my embellishments. For this project I added some 3 dimensional stickers that I had received in my Christmas stocking last year. They were originally intended for scrapbooking but thought they would work well for this. I had also purchased a while back in the Target dollar bins glittery letters in silver, gold and red. Not sure what I was going to use them for at the time, I knew I would find something to put them. Here was that time. I used the silver letters to put Audrey's name on the growth chart.  

8. Stand back and enjoy your hard work for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment